Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Womans retreat

I (Candace) went on a Women's Retreat last weekend to Saly, Senegal.  First time I had ever been away from both Mike and the kids, and it was so hard!  For almost 14 years I have only been away from my kids twice, once to go to Vienna for Mike's work and the second time to fly to Omaha and drive the U-haul back to California with Mike.  The retreat was only 1 1/2 hours away from DA.  The hotel was gorgeous and is where the Europeans come and vacation when they come to Senegal.  The contrast from the extreme poverty of the vast majority of Senegal to the jet set life style that was there at the hotel made me so uncomfortable.  How can you sit by the pool and sip a nice cool drink when just outside the wall are homeless children?
Not to be a Debbie Downer but I had a hard time fully appreciating the beauty and the calmness at the resort.
On the flip side the Worship team that flew in from Texas was incredible and our guest speaker was so inspirational as well as all the amazing women I met and all the different journeys that God is sending us on.  Just truly amazing what God is doing in these women's lives, I feel so blessed to be included!  Thank you to all that helped send me to not only this women's retreat but to Africa!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment